和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Protest in a Small Town

2020-09-24来源:和谐英语
There was no need to disrespect them.
没有必要不尊重他们。
It was very clear to me quickly that we were not dealing with a hostile group of people
很快我就意识到,在这里的并不是一群充满敌意的人,
who were here to wreck and pillage things.
他们也不会破坏或者掠夺东西。
I went there yesterday not exactly knowing what to expect
我昨天去了现场,当时不知道会发生什么,
but knowing what Id seen on TV, a large crowd of Black Lives Matter protesters.
我只知道我在电视上看过一大群黑命贵抗议者。
And not only that.From what Ive seen on the TV and media and news, a violent crowd of Black Lives Matter protesters.
还不仅如此。我从电视、媒体和新闻上都看到过一群暴力的黑命贵抗议者。
So thats why I went prepared and to help stop any damage
所以昨天我也做好了准备制止一切损害,
to my friends and families and businesses there in the town.
无论是对朋友,家人还是对这里商业的损害。
When I got there, that isnt what I saw at all.
但当我真正去了之后,我发现并不是这么一回事。
I would say they numbered 15 to 20, plus or minus a little bit.
我看到了15-20个人,还有另外很少一部分人。
Just young people wanted to get their voice out.
只是一些年轻人在表达他们的诉求。
Yesterday, in Minerva, was definitely a day I will never forget.
昨天的密涅瓦绝对是我永远不会忘记的一天。
We had a relatively small group and they definitely outnumbered us
我们只有很少的人,他们认识肯定比我们多多了,
and I would say a solid percent of those people had at least an AK or a rifle, like a huge gun.
他们大多数人手里至少有一把AK或其他步枪,像拿着一把大炮一样。
It was an intimidation tactic.
这是恐吓策略。
I dont necessarily believe that the people with guns were there to intimidate.
我不一定相信这些持枪的人是来恐吓的。
We were there to protect anyone that needed protected
我们到这里来是为了保护所有需要保护的人,
whether it was BLM or a Minerva citizen or an officer.
无论是黑命贵抗议者,还是当地居民,亦或是警官。
We wanted to make sure that if that force was needed that we were there and ready.
我们要保证的是,当有人需要我们的时候,我们就在那个地方,并且做好了准备。
It had nothing to do with intimidation.
肯定跟恐吓没有任何关系。
Black lives matter. Black lives matter. Black lives matter.
黑人的命也是命。黑人的命也是命。黑人的命也是命。
I thought a lot of the people that would show up would be like me,
我认为很多人都会像我一样来到这里,
would be carrying their weapons and would be there to protect their community.
带上他们的武器保护他们的社区。
Not to antagonize.
这绝不是为了对抗。
Not to throw gas on the fire.
不要往火里洒汽油。
All lives matter, just not Blacks. All lives matter, just not Blacks. All lives matter, just not Blacks.
生命皆可贵,肤色无所谓!生命皆可贵,肤色无所谓!生命皆可贵,肤色无所谓!
Now go home to your mommys basement. Go home.
你妈喊你回家,回家吧!
Go back home to your mommys basement. Go home.
你妈喊你回家,回家吧!
What theyre doing is a right that myself and every other veteran secured for them.
他们做的事是对的,我自己和其他老兵都会为他们保驾护航。
The right to protest. The right to march. Its not a problem.
他们可以去抗议,也可以去游行,这都不是问题。
Black lives matter all day, every day.
黑命贵,天天贵!
Black lives matter all day, every day.
黑命贵,天天贵!
Most of the BLM protesters were from out of town.They were not people that live in the community.
大多数黑命贵抗议者都是从其他镇来的。他们根本不是这个社区的居民。
There were a few that are from Minerva.
只有一小部分来自密涅瓦。
I dont understand why theyre coming to a community that is not their own.
我不知道他们为什么要来一个不属于自己的社区。
I dont know what you came to do. I dont know what you came to do.
我不知道你是来干啥的。我不知道你是来干啥的。
But I came here to protest. Protest.
反正我是来抗议的。抗议!
Minerva is here to protest. Protest.
来密涅瓦就是抗议的。抗议!
Black lives matter.
黑人的命也是命。
We protested in Minerva because we got quite a few requests to be in Minerva.
我们在密涅瓦抗议,因为我们收到了很多来自密涅瓦的请求。
There are biracial and Black children that live in that community who feel uncomfortable.
其中有生活在这个社区的混血儿和黑人孩子,他们说感到非常不自在。
Black lives matter.
黑人的命也是命!
In Minerva and other small towns,we go educate people and try to have people that are afraid to stand up
在密涅瓦和其他小镇,我们会去进行普及,试着鼓励那些不敢站出来的人
to come out of their houses and be on the street with us.
让他们也走出家门,走到街上。
So, its more about unity and not division.
所以我觉得更多是团结,而不是决裂。
Typically when were in bigger cities, a lot of the issue stems from their police.
尤其是在一些大城市,我们看到很多事件都源于警察。
In Minerva, they dont have a big police brutality issue.So, when were here in Canton,
在密涅瓦,他们并没有警察暴力执法的问题。所以当我们在坎顿镇的时候,
a lot of the things that we say are, you know, "Hey hey, ho ho, these racist cops have got to go."
我们的口号大多是,“嘿嘿哟哟,种族主义警察必须走!”
Or "No justice, no peace, no racist police."
或者是“没有公平就没有和平,拒绝种族主义警察。”
We did refrain from those types of chants yesterday.
但是昨天我们没有喊过这类口号。
Ohio is my home.
俄亥俄州是我的家乡。
One of the bigger, you know, messages that we were getting at yesterday is that
我们在昨天想传递一个更强烈的信息,
the color of my skin shouldnt matter but it does.
那就是肤色本来不重要,但现在依然很重要。
White people are being violated too.
白人也受到了侵犯。
They are.
确实是。
You say Black lives matter. Its all lives matter.
你说黑人的命也是命,但生命皆可贵。
When somebody says Black lives matter, small town America hears only Black lives matter.
当有人说黑人的命也是命,小镇里的美国人的第一反应就是“只有黑人的命才是命”。
I believe thats where the Black Lives Matter gets off track with your middle American people.
我相信这就是黑人生活问题偏离正轨的地方。