正文
VOA常速英语:Connect With Reinard Pollmann
My name is Reinard Pollmann.
我叫雷纳德·普曼。
I own this motel here, the Buckshot Inn, here in Smith Center, Kansas.
我在堪萨斯州史密斯中心开了一家旅馆,叫巴克绍特客栈。
I also own other motels in other states.
我在其他州还有其他的汽车旅馆。
Im 80 years old.
我80岁了。
Well, I feel about 25, actually. About 25, maybe 35.
事实上,我觉得我只有25岁。25岁左右,或者35岁。
I cant remember. Its so long ago, so long ago.
我不记得了。那是很久很久以前的事了。
But I feel young.
但我觉得年轻。
People are retired generally dont do anything.
退休的人一般什么都不做。
They just wait to die.
他们只是等待死亡。
I wait to do the next project.
我等着做下一个项目。
My big day is always Monday.
我的伟大日子总是星期一。
I like Mondays.
我喜欢星期一。
People, "Oh, Monday."They like Friday.
人们,“哦,星期一”他们喜欢星期五。
I like Monday.
我喜欢星期一。
Monday is when you do things, you know.
星期一是你做事的时候,你知道的。
Things are happening on Monday.
星期一有事情可做。
Cant get anything done on the weekend, you know.
周末什么事都做不成,你知道的。
But once in a while, you wake up in the middle of the night and say, "What the heck am I doing?
但是偶尔,我会在半夜醒来说,“我到底在做什么?”
What the heck am I doing? Why am I working so hard?"
我到底在干什么?我为什么这么努力工作?”
And then you wake up in the morning, you have a cup of coffee and feel great.
然后早上醒来,喝一杯咖啡,感觉很好。
My cancer is stage-four or something like that.
我的癌症大概已经到了第四阶段了。
One thing is, I dont get too worried about it.
最重要的是,我不太担心。
I mean, youre going to die anyway, Okay.
我是说,反正人总会死的。
You cant prevent that from happening.
你不能阻止它的发生。
And theres medicine out there that can keep you going for a while.
还有一些药能让你坚持一段时间。
So, you know, if I get another 10 years, that would be pretty good.
所以,你知道,如果我能再活10年,那就很好了。
And another 20 years, thats really good.
再过20年,真是太好了。
Another 30 years, that would be fantastic.
再过30年,那就太棒了。
And of course, in good health.
当然,身体很好更好。
Im not married.
我没结婚。
I have never been married.Only had girlfriends.
我从未结过婚。只有女朋友。
And, you know, today, Im just too old. Too old for romance.
而且,你知道,今天,我太老了。太老了,不适合谈恋爱。
I just concentrate on business. Its more stable.
我只专注于生意。这更稳定。
Its a really good question.
这是个很好的问题。
What am I going to do with it when I quit, or I mean, when I die?
当我放弃的时候,我的意思是,当我死的时候,我要它做什么?
Well, I have a sister and shes got two sons, theyre twins. They are 45.
嗯,我有一个姐姐,她有两个儿子,他们是双胞胎。45岁了。
And Ive been trying to get them into the business but theyre engineers that have zero interest, zero.
我一直想让他们进入这个行业,但他们是工程师,没有兴趣,没有。
They didnt want to look at it.
他们不想做生意。
So, I worry about it.
所以我很担心。
You know, I mean if it goes to them,I know what theyre going to do.
你知道,我是说,如果是他们的话,我知道他们会怎么做。
Theyre going to make a couple of calls to real estate agents and say, "Put it, sell it." And thats it.
他们会给房地产经纪人打几个电话,说:“挂出去,卖了。”仅此而已。
When you look back on your life, I had an interesting life.
回顾我的生活,我觉得很有趣。
I was born in Europe, in Holland.
我出生在欧洲的荷兰。
Then I was there during World War II.
第二次世界大战期间我在那里。
I remember some of that.
我还记得一些事情。
The biggest thing was probably leaving Holland and going to America when I was 14.
最重要的事情可能是在我14岁的时候离开荷兰去了美国。
That was tough.
这是艰难的。
You know, you get a new language.
我学会了一门新的语言。
Youre 14 years old.
当时我才14岁。
All of a sudden, you have to go to high school and everybody speaks English and you have to learn it.
突然之间,你必须去上高中,每个人都说英语,你必须学习英语。
That was challenging.
那很有挑战性。
But that was okay.
但那没什么。
A lot of people go through that and I went through that.
很多人都经历过,我也经历过。
If I were to do my life again, I probably would get married, have children.
如果我能再活一次,我可能会结婚生子。
Im very happy with my life.
我对我的生活很满意。
I cant complain at all.
我一点也不抱怨。
My advice to older people is, dont act old. Just keep on going. Dont retire.
我对老年人的建议是,不要表现得像老人一样。继续走。别退休。
相关文章
- VOA常速英语:日增20万确诊病例,印度疫情失控
- VOA常速英语:美国驱逐10名俄罗斯外交官
- VOA常速英语:US Marks One Year of Pandemic Shutdown with Hope, Concern
- VOA常速英语:US Senate Nears Vote on $1.9 Trillion Biden COVID Aid Package
- VOA常速英语:What Is Clubhouse and Why Did It Get So Popular?
- VOA常速英语:Thermal Water Helps Recovering COVID Patients
- VOA常速英语:Deadly Drug Overdoses Epidemic Rages On
- VOA常速英语:International Women’s Day Marks Year of Increased Hardships for Women Worldwide
- VOA常速英语:US States Relax Restrictions, Health Officials Warn Against It
- VOA常速英语:Virginia Starts Reopening Schools for In-Person Learning