跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第707期:养宠物
That guy couldn't feed himself, let alone the pets.
那个人连自己都养不活,更别说养宠物了。
let alone
更不用提...;更别说...
He doesn't have enough money for food, let alone books.
他没有足够的钱买食物,更别提书了。
The boy has no time to take care of the dogs, so he has to give it away.
这男孩没时间照顾他的狗,所以他不得不把它送人。
A: Do you have a pet?
你养宠物了吗?
B: I want to keep a pet, but my wife doesn't like any pets. She is not getting a pet.
我想养一只宠物,但是我的妻子不喜欢任何宠物,她是不会养宠物的。
A: Why not? You can keep a cute little puppy or a kitty.
为什么不?你可以养一只可爱的小狗或者小猫。
B: But my wife won't look after a dog or cat.
但是我的妻子是不会照看狗或者猫的。
look after表示“照看”,“照顾”。类似的表达还有:take care of, give consideration to, care for等。
A: You can feed it, bath it and walk it everyday.
你可以喂它,带它洗澡,每天出去带它遛弯。
B: What if we want to go on holiday? Nobody can look after the pet. Plus, my wife thinks our house is so small that we can't feed a pet. What kind of pet do you want?
如果我们想去度假怎么办?没有人可以照看宠物。而且我妻子认为我们的房子太小了,不能养宠物,你想养什么宠物?
A: I want to keep a dog.
我想养一只狗。
B: Dogs are regarded as the most loyal friends by human. But they are energetic, and you need to make sure they get enough exercise every day.
狗是人类最忠实的朋友,但是它好动,你每天都带它出去溜溜。
be regarded as...表示“被看做...”,是一个被动语态。主动语态为regard...as...
A: What about cats?
那猫怎么样?
B: Cats are more independent.
猫没有那么粘人。
A: That's great. But we're planning to have a baby in the future, so it is not suitable to get a pet in our house.
那听起来不错,但是我们计划将来要个孩子,所以在家里面养宠物不合适。
相关文章
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第804期:去蹦极
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第803期:庆祝春节
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第802期:"in case of"和"in case"有什么区别?
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第801期:“minute”还有这层意思
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第800期:如何委婉提出离婚
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第799期:做瑜伽
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第798期:谈论薪水
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第797期:周末安排
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第796期:商务预约
- 跟艾米丽一起学口语(MP3+文本) 第795期:欢迎新同事