快捷之路交际英语第二册第16课
《快捷之路交际英语》快速提高你的交际口语,不让英语成为绊脚石 。
I’d Liek to Return This Garden Hose I Bought Here Last Week
我想退掉上周在这儿买的花园用水龙管
May I help you?
我能帮您吗?
Yes. I’d like to return this garden hose I bought here last week.
是的,我想退掉上周在这儿买的花园用水龙管。
A. What seems to be the problem with it?
有什么问题吗?
B. It leaks.It does?Yes, it does.
漏水。漏水?是的,漏水。
A. Oh, I’m sorry. Would you like a refund?
噢,对不起。您想退款吗?
B. Actually, I’d prefer to exchange this one for one that doesn’t leak.
其实,我倒愿意调换一卷不漏水的。
A. Certainly. Do you have the receipt with you?
当然可以。您带发票了吗?
B. Yes. I have it right here.
带了,就在这儿。
A. All right. We’ll exchange that for you.
好的,我们会给您换的。
Sorry for the inconvenience.
很抱歉给您带来的不便。
It Still Isn’t Working Right
还是不好用
A. May I help you?
我能帮您吗?
B. Yes. I had this toaster fixed here last week,
是的。这个烤面包器是我上周在这儿修理的,
but it still isn’t working right.
不过现在还是不好用。
A. Oh. What’s the problem with it?
噢,有什么毛病吗?
B. It’s still burning the toast. And now,
还是烤焦面包。现在,
in addition to that, it sparks when I plug it in.
除此之外,我插上插头时,还冒火花。
A. I see. And how long has it been sparking?
我知道了。冒火花有多长时间了?
B. Since I had it fixed here last week.
自从上周我在这里修理以后。
A. Oh. Well, I apologize for the inconvenience.
噢,这个,我很抱歉给您带来的不方便。
If you’d like to leave the toaster with us again,
如果您愿意,把它再交给我们,
we’ll try to take care of it for you.Thank you.
我们会尽力帮您修好的。谢谢了。
A. Could I possibly ask you to turn down the volume on your TV?
我能不能请你把你的电视音量开小一些?
A. Could I possibly ask you to turn down the volume on your TV?
我能不能请你把你的电视音量开小一些?
B. Turn down the volume?
音量开小些?
A. Uh, yes ... if you wouldn’t mind.
呃,是的......如果你不介意的话。
I don’t mean to complain, but you’re keeping all the neighbors up.
我没有抱怨的意思,不过,你搞得四邻都睡不着。
B. I am?Yes, you are.
是吗?是的。
B. Oh! I had no idea I was keeping all the neighbors up.
噢!我不知道我让四邻都睡不着觉。
I’m sorry.That’s okay.
对不起!没关系。
A. I’m really annoyed with the superintendent.
我真生管房人的气。
A. I’m really annoyed with the superintendent.
我真生管房人的气。
B. Why?
为什么?
A. Several days ago I told him our toilet wouldn’t flush,
几天以前,我跟他说我们的抽水马桶不通了,
and I asked him if he could fix it.
问他是否能修一下。
And what did he say?
他怎么说?
A. He said he would get to it right away,
他说他立即就来修,
but he hasn’t done it yet.
可是到现在他也没来。
B. Have you spoken to him again?
你有没有跟他再说一次?
A. No, not yet. I’m planning to speak to him later today.
不,没有,我准备今天晚些时候跟他说。
B. You really should.
你真应当再去说一次。
I’d Rather Not Have to Call the Health Department
我也不情愿打电话给卫生部门
A. Hello. This is Mrs. Peters in Apartment 5.
喂,我是5号套房的彼得斯太太。
B. Yes? What can I do for you?
是吗?我能为您做什么?
I’m calling to find out why you haven’t gotten rid of the mice in our apartment yet.
我打电话是想问清楚你们为什么至今还没有把我们套房的老鼠消灭掉。
B. Well, Mrs. Peters, I’ve been very busy.
这个嘛,彼得斯太太,我一直抽不出空来。
A. You know, I’m a little disappointed.
你知道,我有失望。
I really thought you would have gotten rid of them by now.
我真的认为你们现在已经该把它们除掉了。
B. You have to understand, Mrs. Peters.These things take time.
彼得斯太太,您得明白,这件事很费时间的。
Well, to tell the truth,I’d rather not have to call the Health Department.
那么,实话说了吧,我也不情愿打电话给卫生部门。
Do you think you might be able to take care of it?
您认为您能够处理这件事吗?
B. Yes, me’am. I’ll get to it right away.
是的,太太,我立即就去处理。
Breaks Are Guaranteed in Our Contract
我们的合同是保证工休时间的。
A. I’m really annoyed with the foreman.Why?
我实在是生工头的气。为什么?
A. He’s insisting that I skip all my breaks.
他强迫我放弃工休时间。
B. He can’t do that!He can’t?!
他不能那么做!他不能吗?
B. No! Really! Breaks are guaranteed in our contract.
不能,就是不能!我们合同是保证工休时间的。你肯定吗?
B. Are you sure?Absolutely! You should tell him that.
绝对肯定。你应当跟他讲明这一点。
A. I couldn’t. I’m afraid he’d fire me!
我不能。我怕他会解雇我。
B. Oh, come on! He can’t fire you for that.
咳!你真是的!他不会为这个把你开除的。
A. Are you positive?Definitely!
你肯定吗?绝对没错!
I Think You Should Hire a Lawyer
我认为你应当请一个律师
A. You seem troubled. Is anything the matter?
你好象心事重重,出了什么事情吗?
B. Yes, as a matter of fact.
是的,确实有点事。
My former landlord absolutely refuses to return my security deposit.
我的房东硬是不肯退回我的担保押金。
A. Well, can I offer you some advice?Sure. What?
唔,我能给你出个主意吗?当然可以,怎么办?
A. I think you should hire a lawyer.
我认为你应当请一个律师。
B. Hmm. I hadn’t thought of that. That’s a good idea.
唔,我还没想到呢。这个主意不错。
INTERCHANG
替换练习
You Should Write to the Mayor and Express Your Opinion
你应当写信给市长陈述你的观点
A. You know ... if you ask me,
你知道......在我看来,
they’re building too many offices and apartment buildings in our neighborhood.
我们这一带的办公楼和公寓楼建得太多了。
B. What makes you say that?
为什么你这样认为?
A. The area is becoming noisy and crowded,
这一地区越来越嘈杂拥挤,
and traffic during rush hour is terrible.
高峰时间的交通状况一团糟。
B. Hmm. You seem to feel very strongly about that.I do.
嗯,你似乎感触很深啊。是这样。
B. In that case, why don’t you write to the mayor?
既然如此,为何不写信给市长?
A. Write to the mayor?
写信给市长?
B. Yes. You should write to the mayor and express your opinion.
是啊,你应当写信给市长陈述你的观点。
A. That’s a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
好主意,谢谢你的建议。