和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Navy Fathers, Daughters Share Special Military Bond

2020-07-07来源:和谐英语
Right on the corners is my office.
拐角处就是我的办公室。
For Rear Admiral (Sel.) Putnam Browne and his daughter Francesca,
对海军少将(Sel.)普特南?布朗和他的女儿弗朗西斯卡来说,
the Navy isnt just a career; its the family business.
海军不仅仅是一份职业,还是家族事业。
I definitely think he has a major influence on me whether he meant to or not.
我认为他绝对给我了很大的影响,不管他是不是有意的。
But he taught me so much and I knew that it was the right choice for me because of him.
他教会了我很多,我知道这对我来说是因为他而做的正确的选择。
Francesca attended the prestigious US Naval Academy in Annapolis Maryland.
弗朗西丝卡曾就读于马里兰州安纳波利斯著名的美国海军学院。
Like her father she rode on a Navy crew team.
和她父亲一样,她也是海军船员队的一员。
When a sudden hip injury kept her from rowing,
当臀部突然受伤使她无法划船时,
Browne switched to steering a boat as a coxswain for the mens team,
于是改行掌舵,担任了男队的舵手,
making them the teams first-ever father-daughter duo.
这是该队有史以来第一对父女组合。
That was another very cool transition because we had this, another shared kind of bond.
这是另一个很酷的转变,因为我们有了这种共同的纽带。
Francesca sailed her Naval Academy cruise aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier,
弗朗西丝卡乘坐亚伯拉罕·林肯号航空母舰在海军学院巡航,
the same ship her father commanded.
就是她父亲指挥的那艘船。
So when coronavirus precautions prevented a big Navy graduation last month,Francesca had an idea.
所以当上个月新冠病毒预防措施妨碍了一场大型海军毕业典礼时,弗朗西斯卡有了一个想法。
She asked if I would commission her and do it at the Lincoln Memorial.
她问我是否可以委托她在林肯号纪念堂做这件事。
Lincoln means so much to our family.
林肯号对我们家来说意义重大。
We were the only people there.
我们是那里唯一的人。
It was I think 7 a.m.on kind of a rainy day and we stood right in front of Lincoln.
那是一个雨天的早上7点我们就站在林肯号面前。
My dad administered the oath of office.
我的父亲主持了就职宣誓。
I definitely choked up, maybe a little bit.
我肯定是哽咽了,可能有一点。
It was a very heartfelt culmination of events.
这是事件的一个非常由衷的高潮。
The Navy wasnt such a clear-cut path for Lieutenant Commander Megan Isaac,
海军少校梅根·艾萨克的海军生涯并不是一帆风顺的,
Jennifer knows, whose dad is a retired Navy admiral.
詹妮弗知道,他的爸爸是一位退休的海军上将。
I had always thought I was going to be a ballerina.
我一直以为我会成为芭蕾舞演员。
That was my plan.
那是我的计划。
But on September 11th of Issacs senior year of high school,
但在伊萨克高中高年级的9月11日,
her nation was attacked,and her father was stationed at the Pentagon.
她的国家遭到了攻击,她父亲驻扎在五角大楼。
That day impacted me so much,
那天对我影响很大,
because someone who had been always a point of stability and assurance in my life,
因为有一个人一直是我生命中的安全保证,
there was a question mark there for a few hours.
有几个小时都生死未卜。
And someone had done that,someone had attacked our country,
有人这么做了,有人袭击了我们的国家
and I felt for the first time in my life very compelled to do something about it.
我生平第一次感到,我必须为此做些什么。
In the following days after 9/11,
在911之后的接下来几天里,
Issacs father watched with pride and surprise as his daughter applied to attend the Navys top Academy.
当艾萨克的女儿申请进入海军的顶尖学院时,他的父亲看到了自豪和惊奇。
I dont think he believes that I would ever actually be in a navy Academy,
我觉得他不相信我真的会进海军学院,
and they essentially take all of your personal belongings away; they cut off your hair.
他们拿走了你所有的私人物品,剪掉了你的头发。
I remember just thinking, did I just make the worst decision?What did I just do!
我记得我当时在想,我刚才是不是做了最糟糕的决定?我刚刚做了什么!
And that I feel like its captured very well in my face in that moment,
我觉得那一刻都写在了我的脸上,
and my dads like: itll be great!
我爸爸说:太棒了!
For me it was a really rewarding and exciting day because I knew that she was up to the task.
对我来说,这是一个非常有意义和令人兴奋的一天,因为我知道她能胜任这项任务。
The father-daughter duo has since shared countless Navy experiences throughout Issacs nearly 15 years of service.
从那以后,这对父女二人在艾萨克近15年的服役期间,分享了无数的海军经验。
And it turns out the USS Abraham Lincoln isnt just special for the Brownes.
事实证明林肯号不仅仅是布朗一家的专利。
In 2018 Isaac led the public affairs team of Lincoln,
2018年,艾萨克领导了林肯号的公共事务团队,
where her father had served 10 years prior as the destroyer squadron commander,
她的父亲在那里担任了10年的驱逐舰中队指挥官,
and she was able to bring him back aboard.
她把他带回了船上。
He wasnt in uniform or it really didnt have any of the authorities.
他没有穿制服,或者说没有任何权威。
I had the uniform,I had the radio, I knew everyone on the ship.
我有制服,我有无线电,我认识船上的每个人。
Ill tell you what I just couldnt have been more pleased and proud of watching my daughter in action.
我要告诉你的是,我对执行任务的女儿感到无比的高兴和自豪。
It was great.
太棒了。
The road hasnt always been easy,
这条路并不总是那么容易,
but the Navy has given the father and daughter a special bond.
但是海军给了父女一种特殊的纽带。
Because its something that only we share.
因为这是只有我们才能分享的东西。
There have been several times in my life,
在我的一生中有好几次,
where I just have felt like I didnt know where to go,what the right direction was,
我只是觉得我不知道该去哪里,正确的方向是什么,
and hes always been the one to listen and make sure that I stayed on the right path.
他一直是倾听的人,确保我走上正确的道路。
A path both pairs say was illuminated by their sense of adventure and their desire to serve.
这两对父女说,他们的冒险精神和服务欲望照亮了这条路。
Carla Babb, VOA news, the Pentagon.
卡拉·巴布,美国之音新闻,五角大楼报道。