和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Through a Lens, Brightly

2020-07-07来源:和谐英语
Just kind of lean on that, lean on that typewriter top like that.
往这边靠一点,往打字机这边靠一点。
Yeah, like its more comfortable. There you go.The typewriter is killer. Beautiful right there.
好了好了,这样看着好多了,没问题了。这个打字机就是绝杀,跟你配简直太美了。
Ive been a photographer for 35 years now.This is my neighborhood high school.
我做摄影师35年了。这是我附近的高中。
And so, I just had this idea that I would boost their spirits a little by going around
所以,我就有了一个想法,我可以四处走走
and taking pictures, creating a photo essay of this sort of forgotten class of 2020
拍拍照,做成一个写真集,记录这一群被遗忘的2020级学生,
and we called it Not Forgotten: The Yorktown Seniors of 2020.
我们取名为“难忘今年:2020级约克墩毕业生”。
There are five hundred seniors in the class.Were up to 200 students that I photographed in three weeks now.
这一届有500名毕业生。我在三周内拍摄了200名学生。
And everybody comes out of their house the same way
每个人走出房门时都是一样的反应,
which is they put their hand over the heart and they mouth the words,
他们把手放在心头,嘴里还念叨着,
because we cant get close, they say, Thank you so much for doing this.
因为我们不能靠太近,他们说“谢谢你为我们拍照”。
Weve all been very excited to get our pictures taken.Then someone told me that during graduation, people wear white.
我们都很兴奋能被记录下来。以前有人告诉我,在毕业典礼上,毕业生都穿白色衣服。
So, I was like, oh, Ill save this dress for graduation.And then, unfortunately I wasnt able to.
所以,我就想,啊,那好吧,我就把这套衣服留到毕业典礼再传。但很不幸,今年我们不能参加毕业典礼。
So, I figured this would be the perfect time to wear it.
所以,我想这次拍照就是穿这套衣服的最佳时机。
I am worried about next year for college.
我担心明年大学开学的时间。
Im hoping it will start on time.I would love to teach and Id love to have a book published one day.
我希望能准时开学。我喜欢教书,希望有一天我也可以出版一本书。
I miss my classmates and I miss my teachers.I just really like to go back but, you know, its probably for the best that we all stay home.
我想念我的同学,也想念的老师。我真的很想回到学校去,但是,你知道,我们最好还是呆在家里。
Im really passionate about astronomy.I have been for a long time.
我对天文学很感兴趣。我已经感兴趣很久了。
Actually, it was our unit on lenses and focal points that made me want to build my telescope
事实上,正是我们的镜头和焦点小组,让我想要建造我自己的望远镜
and why I wanted to put in my picture because I feel its a big part of who I am.
为什么我要把望远镜放到我的照片里,因为我因为这是定义我身份的重要一部分。
I was really, really proud of myself and so is my family when I found out I got into college.
当我发现自己考上大学时,我真的为自己感到骄傲,我的家人也是。
Its a really huge accomplishment for me.
这对我来说是一个巨大的成就。
I got into George Mason Honors
我考入了乔治·梅森大学优等学院,
and I was looking forward to the smaller classes and more seminar-based form of learning,
我期待接受小班教育,用研讨的方式来学习
but its still a little in the air how they want to continue on with the next year,
但明年如何开学依然是个未知数,
if they want to start off by virtual classrooms or go into the dorms.
有可能以网课或者在寝室学习的方式进行。
But I am disappointed that I wont be able to get the traditional college experience.
但无法体验传统的大学生活还是有一点失望的。
Now that we have 200 seniors photographed,
现在我们已经记录了200名毕业生,
the project feels more like a cross-section of aspirations of these seniors.
这次的拍照项目就像是毕业生们天马行空的志向大集合。
All right. Let me get some disinfectant...
好了,等我拿一点消毒液...
I ask each senior what theyre about, what they love.So, it gives me a sense of how I should photograph them.
我会问每一个毕业生他们想干什么,他们的兴趣是什么。这样就会给我灵感,让我知道怎么去拍他们。
I want to study chemistry, but I might change it to neuroscience or psychology.
我想学化学,但我可能会改学神经科学或心理学。
I realize that I wont have my last last day of school.
我意识到我无法在学校度过在校最后一天。
I wont have senior experience which I kind of looked forward to.
我也不发体验到我一直向往的毕业经历。
And I wont have, I guess, like my last month of fun, if that makes sense.
所以我也就是去了在校最后一个月的快乐时光。
So, it was kind of devastating because I worked so hard.
所以,这有点让我接受不了,因为我高中真的非常用功。
And like graduation, its probably not going to happen in-person for obvious reasons
就像毕业一样,我们最后一个月也显然无法在一起面对面度过,
and I dont think that we should have an in-person graduation
我也认为我们不应该举办面对面的毕业典礼,
but like everyone kind of dreams of going to Constitutional Hall
但就像每个人梦想去宪政大厅,
and like just walking down the stage.I dont know.
然后梦想着走上舞台。我也不知道。
I feel like my memories were kind of robbed from me.
我觉得我的一部分回忆被剥夺了。
So, were going to pretend. Ready?
所以我们要假装你在这地方,准备好了吗?
After some, I guess, texting with other people who already have their photos taken,
在和其他已经拍照的人聊完天之后,
I decided that it would probably be a good opportunity
我想这可能会是一个好机会,
because Im not going to have many senior memories.
因为我们不会再有更多的高年级和毕业辉夜了。
So, this will be like a good memory that I could show my kids
所以,这会是以后我给我孩子们分享的一个美好回忆,
and would be like forever ingrained in my mind.
会永远扎根在我的脑海里。
People say, Its just the prom. Its not the prom.Its four months, the last four months of your senior year.
人们会说,毕业典礼只是一个舞会罢了,但不仅仅是一个舞会。这是整整四个月的时间,是高年级学年的最后四个月。
Its sort of the culmination of 10 years of school.
这有点像是10年苦读的高潮。
Its just a project that was meant to boost the spirits of this senior class,
这次的拍照项目是想让毕业生都能打起精神,
who like a lot of other seniors around America, theyre all the same.
在美国很多高年级学生都是一样的情况。
Theyre all very smart.Theyre all very passionate.And they all had a chunk of their senior year just evaporate.
他们都很聪明。他们都很有激情。他们的高中最后一年的大部分时间都蒸发了。
And so, it started out to be a boost and its gone crazy.
一开始这个项目只是一个激励作用,最后变得很受欢迎。
Weve been on the evening news and The Today Show and The Washington Post.
我们上过晚间新闻、《今日秀》和《华盛顿邮报》。
I now am getting e-mails from people from Sydney, Australia, saying,
我现在收到来自澳大利亚悉尼的电子邮件,信里说,
Good luck to the seniors of Yorktown High School. Were thinking about you. From Sydney, Australia!
“祝约克墩高中的高年级学生好运。我们在想念你们。”来自澳大利亚悉尼!
Its gotten crazy.
现在这个项目变得非常火爆了。