和谐英语

VOA常速英语:New Yorkers Weigh In on Removal of Statues That Offend Some People

2020-07-20来源:和谐英语
This statue of the 26th president of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt,who served from 1901 to 1909, depict Roosevelt on horseback
这是美国第26任总统西奥多·罗斯福的雕像,他从1901年到1909年担任总统,雕塑描述了罗斯福骑在马上,
with a native American and a black man standing alongside him.
与一个土著美国人和一个黑人站在他身边。
To those who object to it the statue suggests colonialism and white supremacy.
对那些反对它的人来说,这座雕像意味着殖民主义和白人至上。
It is one of a few statues around New York that protestors want removed including one of Christopher Columbus.
这是纽约周围少数几个抗议者想要移走的雕像之一,其中包括哥伦布的雕像。
Christopher Columbus being pedestalize and lionized like that,is similar to Roosevelt being on a high horse.
哥伦布被这样当做名人崇拜,就像罗斯福骑在一匹高马上。
And we just like he needs to come down off his high horse.We need to take Columbus off of his pedestal.
我们就像他需要下马一样。我们得把哥伦布从基座上拿下来。
Because he doesnt represent what this land was once representative of.This was the island of Manhattan. I think a lot of people it offends them.
因为他不代表这片土地曾经代表的东西。这是曼哈顿岛。很多人被冒犯到。
Because its sort of like you know,we act like we discovered this country first.
因为这有点像你知道的,我们表现得好像我们首先发现了这个国家。
There were humans living here for thousands of years.So we didnt discover anything we took it.
在这里也有人类生活了几千年。所以我们没有发现任何,我们是在掠夺。
However, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, son of the late governor Mario Cuomo,who comes from a well-known New York Italian-American family wants the statue to stay.
然而,纽约州州长安德鲁·科莫,已故州长马里奥·科莫的儿子,他来自一个著名的纽约意大利裔美国家庭,希望这座雕像能留下。
I understand the feelings about Christopher Columbus
我理解人们对哥伦布的感受,
and some of his acts which nobody would support. But the statue was has come to represent
以及他的一些行为,没有人会支持。但是这些雕塑是为了去展示
and signify appreciation for the Italian-American contribution to New York. So on that,
并强调意大利裔美国人对纽约的贡献的赞赏。所以在这个问题上,
for that reason I supported. New Yorkers themselves, however,
因此我支持。然而,纽约人自己,
feel conflicted on the removal of monuments like these.
在拆除像这样的纪念碑时感到矛盾。
Any of them I dont care. If youre not for us,you are against us. Gotta go.
他们中的任何一个我都不在乎。如果你不支持我们,你反对我们。得走了。
Martin Luther King? We could put him on those. We can start over.
马丁·路德·金?我们可以把他放在上面。我们可以重新开始。
Obama? We could start over. Take him off.
奥巴马?我们可以重新开始。把他脱了。
I mean the way America was built regardless was wrong and we gotta start over again.
我的意思是,美国的建设方式是错误的,我们必须重新开始。
I think this is an absolutely terrible decision.Having been born in the Soviet Union where statues and the history was rewritten.
我觉得这绝对是个糟糕的决定。他出生在苏联,在那里雕像和历史被改写。
I am absolutely against these types of decisions.New York City being the size it is,
我绝对反对这类决定。纽约市是如此之大,
there are many more statues that will come under the microscope.Should they stay? Or should they go?
将会有更多的雕像出现在显微镜下。他们应该留下来吗?或者他们应该去?
Even before current controversies, New York Citys mayor and his wife
即使在目前的争议之前,纽约市市长和他的妻子
have been looking at putting up more statues depicting women and people of color.
一直在考虑张贴更多描绘妇女和有色人种的雕像。
From English VOA News in New York and Anne Rice VOA News
来自纽约美国之音英语新闻和美国之音新闻安妮·赖斯