和谐英语

VOA常速英语:A Former Policewoman's View of Racism in the Ranks

2020-07-22来源:和谐英语
So here we have me graduating from the police academy and this is my chief at the time.
所以我从警察学院毕业了,这是当时的局长。
Quite happy to have a gun and a badge.
很高兴有枪和徽章。
I was working on a bus, we still wear plain clothes on the bus.
我在一辆公共汽车上工作,我们还在车上穿便衣。
And thats me with a general manager.
和总经理在一起的是我。
I had just made sergeant.
我刚刚当上了中士。
I remember being the only African American female and that group of promotees.
我记得我是那群被提拔的人里面唯一一个非裔美国女性。
I remember the levels of competitiveness and the the gratification
我记得我的竞争力和满足感
that I was able to compete at that level and excel.
我有能力在那个级别上竞争并且表现出色。
My name is Tracey Simmons and I am a retired deputy chief of the Metro Transit Police Department.
我叫特蕾西·西蒙斯,是地铁警察局的退休副局长。
I served there for over 25 years in various capacities I came up through the ranks
我在那里服务了超过25年,干果不同的职务,我是从队伍中走出来的。
and I retired at the rank of Deputy Chief
我以副局长的职级退休
and I was the first African-American woman to reach that rank at my police agency.
我是第一个在我的警察机构达到这个级别的非洲裔美国人。
It was very intimidating for a young woman especially a young black woman.
对于一个年轻的女人,特别是一个年轻的黑人女人来说,这是令人震惊的。
I was in a highly you know Anglo workplace with majority male and it was challenging.
我在一个以男性为主的盎格鲁文化氛围的工作场所工作,这很有挑战性。
You had to get in to fit in to get along and really you really still werent a part of be clear.
你要适应才能相处,而你真的还不清楚。
You know in the police Department there was rampant sexism rampant racism.
你知道在警察局有猖獗的性别歧视,猖獗的种族主义。
They were remarks made in roll calls that you know I would dare repeat.
这些话是在点名时说的,你知道,我敢再说一遍。
And as I was there because I was there I got to be a voice for things that needed to change and be different.
当我在那里的时候,因为我在那里,我必须成为需要改变和改变的东西的代言人。
Theyll be a certain segment of racism because we come from those same communities.
他们将是种族主义的一部分,因为我们来自同一个社区。
Police officers come from those same communities
警察来自同一个社区
and they bring along with them their belief systems, their worldviews and their cultural experiences.
他们带来了他们的信仰系统,世界观和文化经验。
Its just I think come to a head ,I think theres a lot of things that we get to see now
只是我觉得我们现在有很多事情要考虑,要看
because of technology that has occurred for many many years.
因为技术已经出现了很多年。
And that now its kind of in our face.
现在好像印在我们的脸上。
We all had an opportunity to see George Floyd you know be murdered right on television.
我们都有机会在电视上看到乔治·弗洛伊德被谋杀。
Ive never seen anything like it in my life and I dont think most Americans have.
在我的生活中,我从未见过这样的事情,而且我认为大多数美国人也没有。
I think that our country is in a breakdown and I think that around police brutality and law enforcement.
我认为我们的国家正处于崩溃之中,我认为这与警察的暴行和执法有关。
I would tell the protesters that I support them wholeheartedly.
我会告诉抗议者,我全心全意地支持他们。
I would tell them to be thoughtful and be aware that there are other stories and other spaces
我会告诉他们要深思熟虑,并意识到还有其他的故事和其他空间。
thats as part of the story but its not the real story.
这是故事的一部分,但不是真实的故事。
It doesnt tell the story of the ten police officers that got killed last week.
它没有讲述上周被杀的十名警官的故事。
It doesnt tell that story or the guys down the street that got shot by other assailants
它没有讲述那个故事,也没有讲述那些在街上被其他袭击者枪杀的人。
who the police locked up and theyre in jail.
警察把他们关在监狱里。
So there are a lot of stories here to be told.
所以这里有很多故事要讲。
And so Im hopeful.
所以我很有希望。
I do think that there are definite ways and that we can begin to change the culture
我确实认为有明确的方法,我们可以开始改变文化。
and we get to just you know retire out those that want to hold onto the old ways.
我们只需要你知道,那些想要保留旧方式的人退休。
Its not like its exchanging.
又不是交换。
And those that arent ready to change need to move on. They need to go.
那些还没有准备好改变的人需要继续前进。他们得前进了。
Because he changed not only this country, not only the United States, he changed the world.
因为他不仅改变了这个国家,不仅改变了美国,还改变了世界。
George Floyd changed the world.
乔治·弗洛伊德改变了世界。
We get to say what legacy George Floyds death has on us as a people.
我们可以说乔治·弗洛伊德的死对我们这个民族有什么影响。
As long as people feel like it isnt going to die out like all the rest of them.
只要人们觉得它不会像其他人一样消失。
Because those four officers will go to jail for a very long time
因为这四名警官将被关进监狱很长一段时间
but it doesnt mean I feel super safe about my son driving at night.
但这并不意味着我儿子晚上开车会让我觉得非常安全。