和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Birding

2020-08-28来源:和谐英语
There is a Bluebird.
有一只蓝鸲。
I am Larry Meade.I am President of the Northern Virginia Bird Club.
我是拉里·米德。我是北弗吉尼亚鸟类俱乐部的主席。
Ive always been interested in birding,but Ive been seriously birding, keeping track since 2002.
我一直对观鸟感兴趣,但我从2002年开始,就把它当做一件严肃的事情来做。
The connotation of bird watching is that all we do is watch the birds.
观鸟的内涵是,全心全意地看鸟。
But birding is more of an all-encompassing concept
但观鸟更像是一个包罗万象的概念
because not only do we look at them, we study them.We do scientific surveys.
因为我们不仅要看它们,还要研究它们。我们做科学调查。
Looked like a juvenile to me because I saw an adult fly to the right.
这只看起来是只青年鸟,因为我看到一只成年鸟飞到右边去了。
We study their behavior.
我们研究它们的行为。
The one behind me in the pine tree.
我后面松树里的那只。
We travel to see them.
我们跋山涉水去看他们。
We are at Huntley Meadows Park.What is really unique about this is it is a freshwater wetland which is unusual.
我们在亨特利草地公园。真正的独特之处在于,这里是一个不寻常的淡水湿地。
Its got the nice boardwalk.
这里有美丽的木板桥。
Its pretty unique in that way
所以这里真的非常独特,
and that you can get really pretty close to the birds and other wildlife.
你也可以近距离观看鸟和其他野生动物。
Now, the Great Crested Flycatcher is back. Jessica is a member of our club.
看,凤头苍鹰飞回来了。杰西卡使我们俱乐部的一员。
Heres another. Heres a Tree Swallow right here. I hear him singing.
这是另一只。
Its nice to be able to share experiences.
能分享自己的体验真是太好了。
If Im by myself, I like to post my photos on Facebook and get reaction from people that way.
如果只有我自己的话,我喜欢在脸书上分享我拍的照片,这样会引起人们的注意。
But when were with a person, number one, its another set of eyes,
但当我们和另一个人在一起时,首先就多了一双眼睛,
like she spotted some Cedar Waxwings I probably wouldnt have seen.
就像她能发现几只雪松蜡翅,但我就可能看不到。
And I spotted some stuff she probably wouldnt have seen.
当然我也会看到一些她错过的鸟类。
So, youve got more chance to see the birds,
所以,你有更多的机会看更多的鸟,
but you can also discuss the birds and just catching up with friends too.
但你也可以讨论鸟类,也可以和朋友们一起去。
Its just a social thing.
这样就成为了社交活动。
Being outside is always rewarding regardless of the weather,
不管天气如何,呆在户外总是很有收获,
regardless of what it is that we get to see,because the outdoors is always a surprise.
不管我们能看到什么,因为户外总是充满惊喜的。
You never know what youre going to find.
你永远不知道你会发现什么。
Back in 2013, I was playing around on the Internet and found an app
早在2013年,我上网的时候,发现了一个应用程序
that I could download on my phone that was a birding app.
我可以在手机上下载这个程序,就是个观鸟程序。
And so that kind of piqued my interest.And then I went and got a book about birding
这就激起了我的兴趣。然后我去买了一本观鸟的书,
and realized just how intricate and detailed it really is.
看了就意识到观鸟是一件复杂而精细的事儿。
Birding kind of became like a scavenger hunt.And Larry mentioned earlier that birders keep a life list,
观鸟变成了一种寻宝游戏。拉里之前也提到了,每个观鸟人都有一份人生清单,
which is a list of all the birds that theyve seen.
上面列有他们一生中看过的所有鸟类。
And so, when you start out and everything feels new,
所以,当你刚开始观鸟的时候,一切都是新东西,
youre sort of, you know, adding to that life list
然后你会把看到的记录到人生清单中,
and its growing and its growing and it just becomes addictive.
随着你的人生清单不断增长,你越发现越来越上瘾。
Its good for your health to be outdoors.Its a very calming experience.
户外活动对你的健康也有好处。这是一种平静的体验。
But personally, as a former educator,I believe that everybody should be connected to nature because we have to conserve nature.
但就个人而言,作为一名前教师,我认为每个人都应该与自然联系在一起,因为我们必须保护自然。
The birds are diminishing.The research shows that weve lost over 3 million birds over the past few decades and thats really scary.
鸟类正在减少。研究表明,在过去的几十年里,我们失去了超过300万只鸟,这真的很可怕。
And I think that people arent going to be aware of that, if theyre not connected to it.
我认为,如果人们不把自己和自然联系起来,他们不会意识到这一点。
In many places, the only legitimate place to go other than the grocery store and the hospital, is the outdoors.
在疫情中,对于许多地方而言,除了杂货店和医院,唯一合法的去处就是户外。
And its a safe place to be right now as long as you keep your distance from other people.
只要你能和其他人保持距离,户外就是当下安全的地方。
And so, people are going outside in ways that they never have before.
所以,人们正在用一些前所未有的方式接触户外,
And theyre noticing things that they hadnt noticed before.
他们也发现了一些之前没有发现的东西。
And they are making that connection.And theyre finding that birdwatching or birding, as we like to call it, is very relaxing.
他们正在与自然建立这种联系。他们会发现观鸟是非常令人放松的。
The basic tools for a birder are binoculars and some kind of field guide
观鸟者的基本工具是双筒望远镜和一些野外向导,
so you can figure out what the birds are.I really like the Red-headed Woodpecker.
这样你就能知道这些鸟的名字和种类。我真的很喜欢红头啄木鸟。
Thats one of my favorites.
这是我的最爱之一。
I would encourage people to pay attention to birds.There is a whole worldwide community of birders.
我鼓励人们关注鸟类。我们聚集了全球的观鸟者群体。
I mean its not just here. Its everywhere. Its just a lot of fun.
当然,不只是这里,在任何可以观鸟的地方,你都能找到很多快乐。