和谐英语

VOA常速英语:US Veteran Finds Way to Fight PTSD — and Help Homeless

2021-04-06来源:和谐英语
So what I use is, I use organic food, grade coconut flakes.
我用的是有机食品,椰子片。
I blend that with essential oils, never perfume.
我把它和精油混在一起,我从来不用香精。
We use a kosher, goats milk, glycerin base.
我们用犹太洁食,羊奶,甘油为底料。
Maxwell Moore is having fun making soap from only the most natural organic ingredients.
马克斯韦尔·摩尔正享受着仅用最天然的有机成分制作肥皂的乐趣。
But it wasnt easy for Moore to return to civilian life in Los Angeles,after 16 years of military service including tours in war-torn Iraq and Afghanistan,that led him to suffer from PTSD.
但对摩尔来说,在经历了十六年的兵役(包括在饱受战争蹂躏的伊拉克和阿富汗服役)后,重返洛杉矶的平民生活并不容易,这导致他患有创伤后应激障碍。
The VA and they suggested that I should employ my hands,with something that will keep me busy and out of trouble and so they asked me what are you,do you have any hobbies.
退伍军人管理局,他们建议我忙碌起来,这样可以让我远离麻烦,他们问我你有什么爱好吗?
And I told them and they were like what do you have any hobbies that arent dangerous?
他们问我,你有什么不危险的爱好吗?
Well I like to make soap and they said oh you should do that.
我喜欢做肥皂,他们说,哦,那你就应该去做肥皂。
And so I started doing this and I just got obsessed.
所以我开始做这件事,然后我就着迷了。
Moores hobby grew beyond just making and selling soap.
摩尔的爱好不仅仅是制作和销售肥皂。
I was going again to my VA appointments.
我又去参加退伍军人管理局的预约了。
And this homeless man, I came out of the hospital he says, hey Im giving spare change.
这个无家可归的人,我从医院出来,他说,嘿,有没有一些零钱。
And I was like you know I dont have any spare change right now, but Ive got this hobby.
我说,我现在没有多余的零钱,但我有个爱好。
I make soap, do you want some soap?
我做肥皂,你要肥皂吗?
And the guy goes oh yeah lots of soap and I was like really really.
然后他说,当然了,我需要肥皂。
He says yeah I live on the street you know Im dirty.
他说我流浪街头,灰尘很大。
Now Moore gives some of his soap for free to the homeless.
现在摩尔把他的部分肥皂免费赠送给无家可归的人。
Dont get me wrong, I love money.
别误会我的意思,我喜欢钱。
But if youre making money and youre surrounded by people who are poor, who are sick,who cant take care of themselves, then youre going to get sick,and all the money in the world doesnt matter.
但如果你在赚钱,但你的周围都是穷人、病人、不能照顾自己的人,那么你也不会快乐,挣再多钱都无关紧要。
Thousands of orange blossom eucalyptus and grapefruit soap bars.
成千上万的橙花桉树和葡萄柚肥皂。
Moore employs other military veterans and single mothers,to help them adapt and stay afloat financially.
摩尔雇佣了其他退伍军人和单身母亲来帮助他们适应和维持经济状况。
I was really motivated by the service and sacrifice of my comrades at war.
战友们的奉献和牺牲真的激励了我。
And I felt like those guys are dead and gone unfortunately.
当时的战友不幸地都死了。
They cant make an impact anymore back here at home.
他们现在没办法对这里做贡献。
So in some ways I feel like I owe those guys.
所以在某些方面我觉得我欠那些人的。
Stanley who got a bar of soap from Moore during the pandemic is very grateful.
斯坦利在大流行期间从摩尔那里得到了一块肥皂,他非常感激。
No sanitizer burp my hands are dry so they burn me,but Im constantly trying to wash my hands as much as I can.
用消毒剂的话我的手很干,会灼伤我,但我一直在尽可能多地洗手。
While the issue of homelessness in Los Angeles isnt easy to solve,Moore believes in starting with small things,help people stay clean and healthy and the rest will follow.
虽然洛杉矶无家可归的问题并不容易解决,但摩尔相信从小事做起,帮助人们保持清洁和健康,其他事情就会随之而来。
For anna rice in Los Angeles VOA news
美国之音记者anna rice洛杉矶报道