和谐英语

VOA常速英语:A Newsstand's Last Stand

2021-04-13来源:和谐英语
I am Eduardo.
我是爱德华多。
Everybody called me Eddie and I work at the Newsstand.
大家都叫我埃迪和我在报摊工作。
I am a salesman, the morning guy.
我是个推销员,说早上好的家伙。
Good morning ladies! Good morning!
早上好女士们!早上好!
Happy Monday! Thank you!
星期一快乐!谢谢!
It will be my 17th year. Very happy.
这将是我的第17年。非常高兴。
Since I started to work here at the Newstand with Mr.Ralph very happy.
自从我开始在这里和拉尔夫先生一起工作。很高兴。
Almost all the locals, all the neighbors,
几乎所有的当地人,所有的邻居,
everybody knows me. Its like a little family.
大家都认识我。就像一个小家庭。
Thank you sir.Mr.James.Good morning, sir.
谢谢先生。詹姆斯先生。早上好,先生。
How are you? Everything okay? So far. Good sir. Okay?
你好吗?一切都还好吗?到目前为止。好先生。好吧?
Happy Monday, sir. Okay? Thank you, sir. Happy Monday.
星期一快乐先生。好吧?谢谢,先生。星期一快乐。
New York, Wall Street, Financial Times, New York Post and L.A times
纽约华尔街“金融时报”、“纽约邮报”和“洛杉矶时报”
Financial Times and Wall Street. Perfect. We have a cookie for Mr.Jake.
金融时报和华尔街。完美。我们有一块饼干给杰克先生。
Here Mr.Jake.
在这里杰克先生。
I have customers that are, you know, like bankers, like advisors, doctors, so.
我的客户是,你知道的,像银行家,顾问,医生,所以。
Mr Alex says, "Thank you for you Eddie,
亚历克斯先生说:“谢谢你埃迪
because sometimes the guys are coming and you already know
因为有时候男人会来,你已经知道了
what kind of paper magazine they want".
他们想要什么样的纸质杂志“。
Good to see you my friend. Okay? Always.Always.
很高兴见到你我的朋友。好吧?一直都是。一直都是。
Ill see you. Ill be heretil Thursday.
回头见。我会一直呆到星期四。
Ill come to see you and well talk some more.
我会来看你,我们会再谈一谈。
Yes, if you need something,we are here ready, okay?
是的,如果你需要什么,我们准备好了,好吗?
Yeah, man.Good to see you.
是啊伙计。很高兴见到你。
Hey, Maggie.Good morning.How are you?
嘿,玛吉。早上好。你好吗?
Good.Good.
好的。好的。
She likes all French magazines.
她喜欢所有的法国杂志。
So, shes looking if we had something.
她在看我们有没有发现什么。
Yes, I bought here too, Mr.AI.
是的,我也在这里买的,哎先生。
How much was it that you collected from him?
你从他那里收了多少钱?
15 dollars, plus tax 16.43 dollars.
15美元,加税16.43美元。
I started selling papers when I was eight
我八岁时就开始卖报纸了
because I wanted extra money in my pocket.
因为我想在口袋里多花点钱。
And here I am.
我在这里
Im 79 years old and Im still selling papers.
我79岁了,我还在卖报纸。
My name is Alan Brooks and I own Als Newsstand.
我叫艾伦·布鲁克斯我拥有艾尔的报摊。
Im one of the last standing newsstands.
我是最后的报摊之一。
We opened this in 89.
我们在89年开了这个。
It was like a little gold mine,
就像一个小金矿,
and people they were hungry for a newsstand in Beverly Hills.
他们渴望在贝弗利山庄有个报摊。
And I had a total of eight different newsstands.
我一共有八个不同的报摊。
But I made a great living.
但我过得很好。
I put two kids through college.
我送两个孩子上大学。
I was very very happy with it.
我对此非常满意。
And youre nine years old.
你才九岁。
Yeah youd like George and Archie my grandsons.
是的,你就像乔治和阿奇,我的孙子们。
I just like talking to people.
我只是喜欢和人说话。
I like doing business making money and thats just a nice sense of community
我喜欢做生意赚钱,这是一个很好的社区意识
that I enjoy when that wells up
我很享受这一切
that thats what sort of nurtures me.
这就是培养我的原因。
Thank you!
谢谢!
The biggest seller of any magazine that I had was
我所有杂志中最畅销的是
when Jennifer Aniston broke up with Brad Pitt.
詹妮弗·安妮斯顿和布拉德·皮特分手的时候。
I sold 1140 vanity fair of Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt breakup
我卖掉了詹妮弗安妮斯顿和布拉德皮特分手的1140个名利场
but the newsstand business has definitely changed.
但是报摊的生意确实发生了变化。
It becomes prehistoric and thats because of the internet.
它成为史前的,这是因为互联网。
A lot of magazines went to online only and people said
很多杂志只上网,人们说
wheres my Glamour magazine
我的魅力杂志呢
and Im saying you have to go online to get that.
我是说你得上网才能知道。
Good morning. AIs Newsstand.
早上好我是新闻站。
Oh no, miss. Not yet.No more,miss, sorry.
哦不小姐还没有。不用了,小姐,对不起。
Used to be sell that paper,but no, no more.
以前是卖那张纸的,但现在不卖了。
Its easier if you go digital or internet,
如果你上网,那就更容易了,
because I dont know that somebody has that print paper.
因为我不知道有人有那张印刷纸。
You know in the good times,we used to have five or six very good mangazines.
你知道,在好的时候,我们有五六个销量非常好的杂志。
Now you know.No print magazines.
现在你知道了。没有打印的杂志了。
Yes.You know, now, digital, internet.
是。你知道,现在,数字化,互联网。
It is not like used to be, sir.
不像以前了,先生。
Sixty percent of our customers clients are you know over 50 years old.
我们百分之六十的客户是你50岁以上。
and its an age that they still like to feel the paper,feel the magazine
他们仍然喜欢感受报纸,感受杂志
sometimes feel that smell.
有时感觉到那种味道。
This, happiest day of my life,
这是我一生中最快乐的一天
Los Angeles Dodgers,world champions after 32 years.
洛杉矶道奇队32年后的世界冠军。
Awesome.
太棒了。
I come here all the time because when big things happen like,
我一直来这里,当大事发生的时候,
the Dodgers, when they won the World Series,
就像道奇队,当他们赢得世界系列赛时,
that was a big seller here.
这是个大卖场。
And then, recent election,
然后,最近的选举,
when Biden won and you wanted to get the uh the issue of it
当拜登赢了,而你想了解这个的时候,
you know
你知道
you got it.
你明白了。
Yes, everythings on the internet now,
是的,现在一切都在网上,
but its nice to physically hold something in your hand and stuff like that,
但在你手里拿着什么东西是件感受很好的事,
so I dont think my kids will.
所以我不认为我的孩子会。
My kids are glued to their phones.
我的孩子们都粘在手机上了。
So everythings still on their phone,
所以所有东西都还在他们的手机上,
but Im in my late 50s.
但我快50多岁了。
So Im still old school to a certain extent.
所以在某种程度上我仍然是个老派。
Up until the pandemic hit us in March,
直到三月大流行袭击我们,
we were holding our own.
我们在坚持。
But theres a lot of stores that have closed or been shuttered on South Beverly drive,
但有很多商店在南贝弗利大道关门或倒闭,
and thats affected us
这影响了我们
because we dont have the the traffic flow that we had two years ago.
因为没了两年前的交通流量。
Come on dont be afraid.
来吧别害怕。
Come on, do you play baseball?
拜托,你打棒球吗?
I still get the people that will bring their kids by and people
我还是会等有人带着他们的孩子
that we have our regulars.
我们有常客。
But the traffic pattern isnt what it was back in,
但交通流量已经不像以前那样了,
you know three and four or five years ago.
你知道三四五年前。
If Im allowed to bring in items that will help make a profit,
如果我被允许卖一些能帮我赚钱的东西,
cigarettes candy miscellaneous water chips
香烟糖果杂用水片
and increase my revenue,
增加我的收入,
will stay
会留下来
and if not
如果不的话,
I would have to think of selling it.
我得考虑把它卖掉。
But my passion right now is
但我现在的热情在于,
I like old retro magazines.
我喜欢旧的复古杂志。
I have a bunch of older Life Post Saturday Evening Post, Life and Look,
我有一堆上了年纪的“生活邮报”“周六晚邮报”,生活和看,
my old classic playboy magazines comic books and baseball cards.
我的经典花花公子杂志,漫画书和棒球卡。
People are gratified that they can see something
人们对能看到一些东西感到欣慰
that they havent seen for 20 or 30 years and pick it up and buy it.
他们已经有二三十年没见过了然后把它捡起来买下来。
Id find a way to deal in those.
我会想办法对付这些的。
And I dont want you bending the cards at all.
我不想让你把牌弄弯。
Because the moment you bend them,its going to lose its value.
因为一旦你把它们弯曲,它会掉价。
Weve lost part of the interaction with people.
我们失去了与人互动的部分。
Weve become so technologically absorbed.
我们在技术上变得如此专注。
I mean you miss a lot of the realism of touching and tactfulness with people and interchanging.
我的意思是,你错过了许多与人接触以及交流的现实接触。
You need to have conversations with people
你需要和别人交谈
that share your ideas with me.
和我分享你的想法。
I may not accept it but Im hearing a point of view
我可能不接受,但我听到了一种观点
that could be beneficial to me in the long run.
从长远来看,这对我是有益的。
The other day came when a family families on overseas
有一天,一家人从海外来,
and I remember one of the kids,
我记得其中一个孩子,
about maybe seven years old told his dad,
大概七岁,问他爸爸,
Hey Dad what is this?
嘿,爸爸,这是什么?
What is a newsstand?
什么是报摊?
What is a newsstand?
什么是报摊?
I dont know.
我不知道。
What is a newsstand?
什么是报摊?
So well see but it was very funny.
所以我们会看到,但这是非常有趣的。
Take care, Okay?
保重,好吗?
Happy Monday.
星期一快乐。
See you later.
再见。