和谐英语

VOA常速英语:For the Love of Bread

2021-04-16来源:和谐英语
This is one of the reasons Ive started baking,
这也是我开始烘焙的原因之一,
was because I couldnt find any bread in the beginning of the quarantine.
是因为我在隔离开始的时候找不到面包。
So, I was like where am I going to get fresh bread?
所以,我想我要去哪里买新鲜面包?
And I dont like to buy the pre-packaged toast or anything like that.
我不喜欢买预先包装的吐司之类的东西。
I like to have like fresh loaves.
我喜欢吃新鲜的面包。
So, I was like, you know what?
你猜怎么着?
Im going to try it out making it myself.
我要自己动手做。
Before the pandemic, I was working in production, mainly on, in the fashion industry.
在大流行之前,我主要是在时尚行业的制片部门工作。
When the lockdown happened, production shut down completely.
当封锁发生时,制片完全停止。
So, we were just at home.
所以我们只是在家。
You know, I was very scared to go outside.
你知道,我很害怕去外面。
I had suffered cancer a few years back.
几年前我患过癌症。
So, my immune system is more on the compromised side.
所以,我的免疫系统比较脆弱。
So, I added the three types of flours to this, the natural yeast, the salt and then I combined it.
我加入了三种面粉、天然酵母、盐,然后混合。
Let it rest for a little while.
让它静置一会儿。
So now, Im going to do the stretch and fold, which is really important to give strength to the dough.
现在,我要做拉伸和折叠,这对增加面团的强度非常重要。
And it gets heavier and heavier the more you roll it.
越滚越重。
I guess when I actually taught myself how to make sourdough bread,I started to feel something.
我想当我真正学会做酸酵种面包的时候,我开始有了感觉。 我开始感觉到一些东西。
And this might be strange but like any time I would shape the dough, I was like, I really liked it.
这可能有点奇怪,但是每次我给面团塑形的时候,我都非常喜欢。
I was like, this is so much fun.
我想,这太有趣了。
I was super like, obsessed with the dough.
我对面团非常着迷。
And when the sourdough starter would grow, I would get really excited like, there was this real special connection.
当酵母发酵剂变大时,我就会非常兴奋,这是一种真正特殊的联系。
This dough is very high maintenance.
这个生面团不易打理。
Yeah, theyre like my little babies.
是啊,它们就像我的小宝宝。
I was giving it away at first and then people were actually like texting me,"Do you have a bread? Do you have bread?"
一开始我把它送出去,然后人们就像在给我发短信,“你有面包吗?你有面包吗?”
And then, they started to pay for it.
然后,他们开始买面包。
So then, I would get actual orders.
那么,我就会得到真正的订单。
Like some people would be like, "I want five loaves", you know, and they would give it to their friends.
有些人会说,“我想要五个面包”,然后他们会把面包分给他们的朋友。
This is my favorite part.
这是我最喜欢的部分。
I like to cut the middle and see how well the loaf turned out.
我喜欢切中间,看看这条面包有多好。
All right, lets see the big surprise.
好吧,让我们看看大惊喜。
Yes. Yes.
是。是。
I work really hard to make, you know, the outside crispy, the moist and not too dense.
我非常努力地,让它的外皮酥脆,湿润又不太粘。
And then recently I started, for some customers, they were asking about like making just 100 percent rye (bread).
最近,我开始为一些顾客提供100%的黑麦面包。
And so, you try it.
你试一下。
Its such superfood.
太好吃了。
As long as I always get to eat bread, itll be a family business.
只要我一直能吃到面包,这就是家族企业了。
She made a point.
她说得很对。
Shes like bread isnt supposed to,in America you buy a loaf of bread,it could be a month later and its still exactly the same.
好像面包不应该这样,在美国,你买一条面包,可能是一个月后,它仍然是完全一样的。
And why does it have so many ingredients, you know?
为什么它有这么多原料,你知道吗?
Oh, it smells so good.
哦,闻起来好香。
Theres been a war on bread in America for the last couple of decades,where people blame it for all of their dietary ills.
在过去的几十年里,美国发生了一场面包战争,人们把所有的饮食问题都归咎于此。
So, theyve been cutting it out or making excuses or,
他们要么戒掉,要么找到原因,
I mean, I know there are people with gluten intolerances but everybody thinks theyre gluten intolerant now.
我是说,我知道有些人有麸质不耐症,但现在每个人都认为他们是麸质不耐症。
So, bread pays the price.
因此,面包就背了黑锅。
I want to bring healthy bread to neighborhoods, you know.
我想把健康的面包带到社区。
Thats the big goal here for me.
这是我最大的目标。
When I discovered I have a passion for bread-making and a passion for bringing healthy food to people,
当我发现我热衷于做面包和给人们带来健康的食物时,
like I had so many people message me and say,
就像我有那么多人给我留言说,
"How come your bread is so well digestible like,how come Im not bloated?"
“为什么你的面包能很好的消化,为什么我不腹胀呢?“
Like, Im like well the reason is, Im using simple ingredients and natural yeast.
原因是,我用的是简单的原料和天然酵母。
Its nutritious.
很有营养。
It should be healthy.
应该是健康的。
Its bread.
这就是我做的面包。