您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语听力 > VOA英语听力下载|VOA news > voa标准英语|美国之音常速英语下载|在线收听
正文
VOA常速英语:Growing Cranberries
2020-12-14来源:和谐英语
Update Required
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
蔓越莓是北美的一种本地水果。
They are only one of three fruits that were growing here before the Europeans came.
在欧洲人到来之前,它们只是在这里生长的三种水果中的一种。
There were only cranberries, blueberries and Concord grapes here before the Europeans arrived.And so, the native Americans that lived here since,
在欧洲人到来之前,这里只有蔓越莓、蓝莓和康科德葡萄。印第安人一直生活在这里,
you know, who knows how long,how many thousands of years they lived here before the Europeans,
你知道,谁知道多久,谁知道他们比欧洲人早在这里生活了多久,或许几千年,
they harvested the cranberries that grew here wild in the swamps.I think everybodys here.
他们收获了在沼泽地野生生长的蔓越莓。我想大家都到了。
Welcome.
欢迎。
Thank you everybody for coming.
谢谢大家的光临。
Im Dave.
我是戴夫。
This is part of my cranberry farm here.
这是我这里蔓越莓农场的一部分。
I have 80 acres of cranberries altogether on our farm.
我农场上总共有80英亩蔓越莓。
I came down here after college and bought a farm.
大学毕业后我来这里买了个农场。
Id worked on farms in high school.
我高中的时候在农场工作过。
So, we started small and have grown.
我们开始时规模很小,后来发展壮大。
We have farms all the way from about five miles down the road to the west in East Sandwich.Well, the Cape is a good place to grow cranberries,because the climate is right, the soil is right, everything is just right here.
我们的农场从东桑威奇西边大约5英里一直延伸到西边。好望角是种蔓越莓的好地方,因为气候适宜,土壤适宜,一切都恰到好处。
I call it my Goldilocks theory.
我称之为我的“金发姑娘”理论。
Theres no real school where you can go to learn how to grow cranberries.
没有一所真正的学校可以让你学习如何种植蔓越莓。
So, I learned pretty much all on the job,
所以,我在工作中学到了很多东西,
and then in 1986, I met an old guy, and I joke about, in the 1980s,there were no such thing as a mentor.
然后在1986年,我遇到了一位老人,我开玩笑说,在80年代,没有这样的良师益友。
We just called him an old man.
我们称他为老头。
He was the old man that had the farm next door,
他是隔壁农场的老人,
but he became my mentor and I bought his farm,
但他成了我的良师益友,我买下了他的农场,
and he really showed me a lot of things that had taken him, his whole career, his whole lifetime.The water reel is the machine that knocks the cranberries loose from the vines.
他向我展示了很多东西,这是他一生的事业,一辈子的生活。水滚筒是把蔓越莓从藤上打落的机器。
We flood the bogs.
我们用洪水淹没沼泽。
We run the water reel through.
我们让水滚筒通过。
The water reel breaks the cranberries loose or agitates them.
水滚筒把蔓越莓弄松或搅动。
So, the cranberries float in the water.
所以,蔓越莓漂浮在水中。
After they are knocked loose or knocked off,
在它们被打落后,
well raise the water level up and then well come back in a day or so,gather them together.
我们会提高水位,然后再过一天左右再回来,把它们聚集在一起。
We call it racking or corralling when we gather them.
当我们把它们收集起来的时候,我们称之为“收集”或“围拢”。
And then well pump them out of the water with the big pump rig,
然后我们用大泵把他们从水里抽出来,
which separates the cranberries from any leaves or other debris,
把蔓越莓从任何叶子或其他碎片中分离出来,
thats in there and pumps the clean cranberries out of the water,
把干净的蔓越莓从水里抽出来,
and into the truck to go to the factory to the processor.This is kind of a family business, a little bit of a family. I started it.
然后装进卡车,到工厂去加工。这有点像家族企业,有点像家族。 我创办了它。
My son hopefully will take over.
我希望我的儿子能接任。
Hes involved now so.Well, I got into the cranberry business through birth, pretty much, born into it.
他现在也参与其中了。嗯,我是在出生的时候开始从事蔓越莓生意的,几乎从出生开始。
When I was growing up,I lived on about a 10-acre farm that my dad owns and operates.
当我长大的时候,我住在一个大约10英亩的农场上,我爸爸拥有并经营着这个农场。
And then over the years, hes expanded from there.
这些年来,他从那里开始扩张。
And then I started getting more into it,probably about eight years ago.
然后我开始更深入地研究,大概八年前。
We looked at a farm together and we purchased it about five years ago.
我们一起看了一个农场,大约五年前我们买下了它。
And so now as partners,
所以现在作为合伙人,
I play a little bit more of a role in that bog in particular and help him out when I can at the other places.The pandemic has really probably helped the business a little bit,
我在那个沼泽里扮演了更多的角色,当我能在其他地方帮助他的时候,我会帮助他。流感大流行可能对企业有一点帮助,
because everybody went into their stock-up-their-bunker mode in the beginning.
因为一开始每个人都进入了“囤货”模式。
So, we sold a lot of cranberry juice initially.
所以,我们最初卖了很多蔓越莓汁。
But in a lot of ways,
但在很多方面,
it hasnt affected the business much because the cranberries dont care whats going on in the world.
它并没有对生意产生太大的影响,因为蔓越莓不关心世界上发生了什么。
The beauty of the crop and the natural world is,its oblivious to whats going on in the human world.
农作物和自然世界的美丽之处在于,它无视人类世界里正在发生的事情。
The crop grows.
庄稼长起来了。
The cranberries grow, regardless of whats going on in the world.
不管世界上发生了什么,蔓越莓都会生长。
相关文章
- VOA常速英语:日增20万确诊病例,印度疫情失控
- VOA常速英语:美国驱逐10名俄罗斯外交官
- VOA常速英语:US Marks One Year of Pandemic Shutdown with Hope, Concern
- VOA常速英语:US Senate Nears Vote on $1.9 Trillion Biden COVID Aid Package
- VOA常速英语:What Is Clubhouse and Why Did It Get So Popular?
- VOA常速英语:Thermal Water Helps Recovering COVID Patients
- VOA常速英语:Deadly Drug Overdoses Epidemic Rages On
- VOA常速英语:International Women’s Day Marks Year of Increased Hardships for Women Worldwide
- VOA常速英语:US States Relax Restrictions, Health Officials Warn Against It
- VOA常速英语:Virginia Starts Reopening Schools for In-Person Learning