和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Parallels with the Past

2021-01-04来源:和谐英语
2020 has taught me to be a better teacher and its taught me to be a better team member.
2020年教会了我如何成为一名更好的老师,也教会了我如何成为一名更好的团队成员。
Im teaching World War I and II.
我在教第一次世界大战和第二次世界大战。
Im teaching the Spanish flu.
我在教西班牙流感。
And its another thing to be living through it and say, "Oh,this is what my ancestors went through."
而经历它并说“哦,这是我祖先的经历。”则是另一回事。
This is what they were thinking.
他们就是这么想的。
This is what they must have been feeling,
这一定是他们的感受,
and its made me more empathetic to the suffering of others,
这让我对他人的痛苦更加感同身受,
but its also helped me to see that we havent changed as much as we want to think we have,
但这也让我明白,我们并没有像我们想的那样改变,
and that these currents and patterns of human behavior, its reinforced that they repeat.
这些潮流和人类行为模式,在不断重复的过程中得到加强。
But its also given me a lot of faith that will overcome it.
但这也给了我很多信心来克服它。
And weve lived through this kind of division before.
我们曾经经历过这种分裂。
Its also made me bolder about speaking my truth and stronger when people push back on it,
这也让我更大胆地说出真相,当人们抵制我的真相时,我变得更坚强,
to say, "No, heres the evidence,this is my truth and I cant help it if its not what you want to hear."
可以说,“不,这是证据,这是事实,如果不是你想听的,我也无能为力。”
And I think that you know 2020 has been a year where weve had to begin to engage in very difficult conversations.
我想大家都知道,2020年是艰难的一年,我们的对话进行得非常艰难。
We are one of the poorest counties in the state.
我们是本州最穷的县之一。
As a doctor like myself in a small community,we cant get funding.
像我这样生活在一个小社区的医生,我们无法获得资金。
The pandemic has taught us how much we need these social ties to people.
这一流行病教会了我们,我们多么需要这些与人们的社会联系。
We need other people.
我们需要其他人。
We need the community,
我们需要社区,
and its also taught us that the discipline that we took for granted in this country.
这也教会了我们在这个国家被我们视为理所当然的规则。
We cant take it for granted.
我们不能认为这是理所当然的。
We cant take democracy for granted.
我们不能把民主视为理所当然。
All lives cant matter until Black lives matter.
只有黑人的生命变得重要了,才是所有的生命都重要。
All lives cant matter until Black lives matter.
只有黑人的生命变得重要了,才是所有的生命都重要。
So we have to think about you know how do you go around the obstacle and not through it.
所以我们要考虑的是,你知道如何绕过障碍,而不是穿越障碍。
How do you lead people who dont want to hear an uncomfortable truth to be able to deal with it?
你如何引导那些不想听到令人不快的事实的人去面对它?
How do you get them to understand that everyone deserves respect no matter what theyve done.
你如何让他们明白,无论做了什么,每个人都值得尊重。
It has been a hard year.
这是艰难的一年。
I have lost family members to COVID.
新冠病毒肺炎让我失去了家人。
And we thought a lot about mortality,
我们思考了很多关于死亡率的问题,
and a lot about how do we leave this world better for people,
还有很多关于我们如何为人们更好地离开这个世界,
and how do we get fiscal stability for people.
我们如何让人们的财政稳定。
Im the head of this house, but Ive been paying with my savings.
我是这家的主人,但我一直用我的积蓄来支付。
At this moment I am literally waiting for the Sheriffs to show up at my front door to remove me.
就在这时,我正等着警长出现在我的前门,把我抬走。
Make the place where we live better.
让我们居住的地方变得更好。
This is a woman that she hasnt had food for several days.
这个女人已经好几天没有进食了。
Im here by myself.
我一个人在这里。
If everybody does that we can get it to reach out and hit the rest of the world.
如果每个人都这样做,我们就能让它到达世界其他地方。
That sounds really optimistic and everything.
听起来真的很乐观。
But you know Im not the president of the United States.
但你知道我不是美国总统。
Im not in congress.
我不是国会议员。
I dont have money to pay for access so what I can do is do what I can do here,
我没有钱来支付访问费用,所以我能做的就是在这里做我能做的,
and get with like-minded people and continue doing that,
和志同道合的人在一起继续这样做,
and maybe well drag the politicians along.
也许我们可以把政客们也拉进来。
Thats the best we can do.
这是我们能做到的最好的了。